The Geneva Cities Hub is a platform that facilitates interactions between local governments and Geneva-based international actors.
Created by the City of Geneva and the Canton of Geneva, with the support of the Swiss Confederation, the Geneva Cities Hub (GCH) is an association under Swiss law.
As an organization focused on urban actors and concerns, the GCH aims to facilitate relations between cities and city networks around the world and the various institutions of International Geneva, including the United Nations, International Organizations, Diplomatic Missions, NGOs, academic institutions, and other relevant stakeholders.
The GCH assists cities and city networks to contribute more effectively to multilateral processes and bodies. It also provides a neutral platform to discuss urban issues and improve the visibility of the urban work of Geneva-based entities.
The GCH is not a city network and takes care to avoid duplicating the work of other entities. It seeks to partner with major city networks and organizations.
CREATE A COMMUNITY OF URBAN PARTNERS
- Facilitate contacts between urban actors and Geneva-based international actors, including by convening meetings on topical urban issues.
- Facilitate exchanges among Geneva-based international actors who work on urban issues and with urban actors.
- Establish links with the Geneva International Welcome Center (CAGI) and with Geneva and federal authorities, in order to provide better guidance to urban actors when they wish to engage with the authorities.
SUPPORT URBAN ACTORS TO MAKE AN EFFECTIVE CONTRIBUTION TO MULTILATERAL PROCESSES AND BODIES
- Seek entry points that will assist urban actors to enhance their representation and participation at the United Nations, such as special accreditation or specific roles in multilateral processes.
- Advise urban actors on how they can best make their voices heard, including through the provision of specialized analysis or training that will add to their understanding of multilateral bodies, processes or actors.
IMPROVE THE VISIBILITY OF URBAN WORK IN GENEVA
- Provide, through the GCH website, a detailed overview of the urban work by international actors.
- Convene meetings to showcase that urban work and raise awareness of the services that international actors can offer to local governments, so that they may be better equipped to tackle global challenges.
To achieve our objectives, the GCH will work with
- Local governments, cities and city networks.
- UN entities and other International Organizations.
- Academic institutions, NGOs, and the private sector.
IN A NUTSHELL, THE GENEVA CITIES HUB:
Is a neutral platform to facilitate interactions between cities and local governments and Geneva-based international actors.
Advises urban actors on how they can best make their voices heard.
Convenes meetings on topical urban issues.
Enhances the visibility of the urban work of Geneva-based international actors.
Seeks entry points in Geneva-based multilateral processes and bodies for cities and city networks.
works with cities and city networks, International Organizations, States, NGOs, academia and other relevant stakeholders.